Friday, March 25, 2011

The Best Laid Plans of Mice...

I know, I know...I promised Cider...well, that was the plan, especially because I knew I was going to be working this weekend after we had to cancel our camping trip...(Boo!)...and I was going to be getting thirsty doing thirsty work and all...

But, lets get caught up on what we've been doing...

 We now have eight full beds and two single row micro beds along the southern edge of the garden.

To date we have planted tomatoes, sweet onions, red onions, peas, squash, water melon, honeydew melon, and we have about 1/3 left open for further cultivation.

Planting has begun...

We have two shade arbors built from recycled/reused  materials (some needed patching and reinforcement).
  
Arbor for chard shading and something for beans to climb.

The herb garden is in...plans seem to be the first point of deviation and I have different medicinals that I had originally planned, but almost all my original culinary herbs...also added were two aloe plants and a rose bush.




And we are planning a larger one...the circle is 24 feet across and there are pepper plants along the perimeter of both gardens.

Notice the jungle that is our front yard? Centipede sod is the bane of my existence...

Our mint bed is planted and that is a pepper plant beside it. We do quite a bit of container gardening and especially with mint, if you let it go, it'll choke out an entire bed of herbs. (Yes, that is an old lid from a luggage  carrier that at one time was strapped to the top of some middle class families car on it's way to Disney Land. Did I mention we recycle a lot?)


The strawberry bed has it's bed of fertilizer down and is just waiting me to scrape enough dirt out of the middle of the main garden to fill in the box.


And as if that wasn't enough, the ever industrious Life Partner started several other plants from sprouts she had started from seed.



We got a lot done this week. So now we relax...got more to do tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment